Thursday, August 14, 2008

Can everyone please stop bitching about the price of gas?

I swear that if I hear one more person bitch about the price of gas, I think I’ll go nutso. Yes, yes, yes, gas is expensive. I get it. My billfold gets it. Our credit card statement gets it. But enough already. Stop talking and start doing.

Here’s what I’m doing to remove some of the sting:

The first step, really, is obvious. I had to stop driving so damn much. My hubby and I ride into work together whenever possible. I work from home on a regular basis. You can, too. Carpool. Telecommute. I know, I know, my husband and I work for ourselves, and we work together, so it’s not that hard for us. My sister and brother-in-law, however, DO NOT work together or for themselves, and they also carpool to get her to work and him to school, and she works from home one day a week. Hey, you can even GET PAID to do either… or both! Check out http://www.cleanaircampaign.com/. My sister GETS PAID to do so by that lovely Clean Air Campaign. You, too, can reduce your commute (and did I mention you can GET PAID?).

When I do drive, I try to drive smart. I have diligently tried not to drive my car for only one errand (unless it’s really an emergency). If I go out, I’m going OUT. DD gets strapped in the back seat, and we head out for the marathon of errand-running. I map out my errands (at least in my mind if not on paper) to minimize back-tracking. I consolidate errands – if I need to hit Kroger, for example, which is in a big complex of shops and banks, I wait until I also need to drop off dry cleaning, pick up mail, grab a birthday card and gift at Barnes & Noble, pick up office supplies at Office Depot, and make a deposit at the bank.

I’ve also looked for alternate transport. My bike? It just came out of the garage and got brand-spanking-new tires and a tune up. I’m excited that a bike path – installed only a few years ago – runs almost directly from my home’s front door to my office’s front door. And I’m looking for a trailer so that DD can come along for the ride on trips to locations that are not within easy walking distance but close enough to bike.

Why drive when you can walk? DD’s stroller and my Columbia sandals are getting more use than ever (and we already walked/strolled a lot). We’re lucky – we have about six parks, at least five casual restaurants, two coffee shops, a lovely gift shop, and a wine store/convenience store all within easy walking distance. The way I see it, it’s all free exercise (maybe we can save EVEN MORE MONEY and drop that Y membership!).

I’m even considering a return to MARTA for some necessary trips, like my weekly Kiwanis meeting. I’m crunching the numbers to determine whether the MARTA fare is cheaper than the gas. If it is, I’ll be putting that Breeze card to use more often.

These are just a few things that I have tried. I welcome you to share your ideas about how you, too, are making as little as possible out of the gas price “crisis.” Quit bitching and start making a difference!

1 comment:

D. W. said...

Well, several of my friends have lost their jobs, so that definitely helps them save gas!

Amen, sister. Keep up the good cause.