Saturday, January 10, 2009

Books 99-97

It's been a busy few days, book-wise! On Thursday, I finished the pleasant and engaging The Cat Who Covered the World by Christopher Wren. The story of Henrietta, the cat who travelled around the world with foreign correspondent Wren and his family, it was worth picking up off the "take me" pile at my yoga studio. One little note: the frontispiece of the book quoted a passage from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, a neat little segue from my previous read.

For book 98, I returned to a classic that I read years ago, The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. While I enjoyed it again, the book was not as scary as I recalled, and I had completely forgotten the rather abrupt ending. I found myself contemplating the mental state of the narrator far more than soaking up the eeriness of the book. Nonetheless, I'm glad I read it again.

Book 97 was pretty much a throw-away: a brief graphic novel, Emily the Strange (no author attribution). I've bought my own sister Emily a number of Emily the Strange paraphernalia over the years. Unfortunately, her snarky, spooky non sequiturs, wisecracks, and obiter dicta did not translate well into book format. Buy the cute tees, notepads, magnets, and more, but avoid the book...

So, here's the summary:

100. Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
99. The Cat Who Covered the World by Christopher S. Wren
98. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
97. Emily the Strange by Anonymous

Not sure what I'll read next, but I'll be sure to report!

No comments: