Thursday, June 10, 2021

Book review catch up







Summertime, and the readin' is easy!  Check out my latest reads!

Watch Us RiseWatch Us Rise by Renée Watson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can't get enough of Renee Watson, and this collaboration with Ellen Hagan was another great read! Best friends Jasmine and Chelsea provide an inspiring duo for readers as they kick off their women's rights writing club in response to gender discrimination at their school (along with racism and size-ism). An uplifting read with an engaging alternating narrators format, poetry and social media also play a role.

View all my reviews

SlaySlay by Brittney Morris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Calling all gamers and social justice warriors - this book is for you! Kiera is a hard-working student by day and the creator and leader of the MMORPG Slay in her "off" hours. What can Kiera do when a young player of the game is murdered and critics decry her game - created as a safe space for Black people around the world - as racist? A realistic fiction novel that ties together topics of critical interest to many of today's YA readers.

View all my reviews

Kent State: Four Dead in OhioKent State: Four Dead in Ohio by Derf Backderf
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

An exceptionally well-researched nonfiction, historical graphic novel that takes a hard look at a tragic incident. The use of primary sources and excellent end notes would make this an interesting choice for use in a high school history course.

View all my reviews

Showtime at the Apollo: The Epic Tale of Harlem’s Legendary TheaterShowtime at the Apollo: The Epic Tale of Harlem’s Legendary Theater by Ted Fox
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another excellent nonfiction, historical graphic novel on a fun topic. Occasionally, the text was not in a clear order, but the book has a wealth of fascinating information about the Apollo Theater, and the illustrations are well done.

View all my reviews

No comments: