Monday, June 21, 2021

Book Review: The Conductors by Nicole Glover

The ConductorsThe Conductors by Nicole Glover
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a cool book! I love how Glover combines historical fiction, mystery, and magic and ties them all together with well-written characters and an interesting plot. The references to previous "cases" that protagonist Hetty and her husband Benjy had solved reminded me of similar references in Sherlock Holmes stories. And this book, for sure, had me thinking back to Ebony Elizabeth Thomas's The Dark Fantastic: Race and the Imagination from Harry Potter to the Hunger Games, in which Thomas raises the question of how Black people fit into the Potterdom world of magic. I think Glover has a glorious answer. The storyline was a bit slow to get going, but I encourage others to keep reading and get sucked in just like I did. I am so excited that a second book is coming soon!

View all my reviews

No comments: