Monday, March 1, 2021

Book Review: A few more books on personal finance

Tia Isa Wants a CarTia Isa Wants a Car by Meg Medina
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A sweet story of family with lovely illustrations. I was reviewing the book for possible use in a social studies unit on personal finance - the book does nicely introduce the topic of saving for a big purchase - but I think it's better suited for a view of the experience of American immigrants through a child's eyes. I loved the connection between the family members separated by an ocean but still supporting each other financially and emotionally. This would also be a nice read-aloud during Hispanic Heritage Month, but it's really a sweet story for any time!

View all my reviews



Those ShoesThose Shoes by Maribeth Boelts
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a warm and nicely illustrated story covering themes of wants vs. needs, empathy, and fitting in. It doesn't really fit my needs for a read-aloud in a sixth grade social studies unit on personal finance, BUT it would make a nice selection for a social-emotional learning lesson. I think everyone can relate to the desire to fit in as well as to the moment when something just "clicks" for you in terms of putting yourself in someone else's shoes.

View all my reviews



Sunday ShoppingSunday Shopping by Sally Derby
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

With a subtle shout-out to military families, this is a sweet story about a little girl who goes "shopping" in the sales papers each Sunday evening while snuggled up with her grandma. The illustrations are a nice blend of watercolors with almost collage-like acrylic, wax pencil, and digitally manipulated images. While I don't think I'll use it as a read-aloud in my social studies unit on personal finance, this is a story worth sharing for other topics - the power of imagination, the joy to be found in intergenerational relationships, coping with the absence of a loved one.

View all my reviews

No comments: