Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Book Review: One of the Good Ones by Maika Moulite and Maritza Moulite

One of the Good OnesOne of the Good Ones by Maika Moulite
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When social media star Kezi dies at the hands of police during a protest, her family is sent in to a tailspin. When her sisters and two closest friends embark on the Green Book-inspired trip she had planned following her high school graduation, Kezi's loved ones learn - and share - more than they ever thought they would about Kezi and about themselves.

The Moulite sisters effectively combine aspects of realistic fiction and thriller to create a modern day fable or morality tale for YA readers. True confession: I initially felt the plot was a little too contrived, but I also felt like the authors had a firm finger on the pulse of YA fiction and what engages YA readers. After reading their authors' note at the end, which I encourage everyone to do, I felt the plot was more in keeping with the key components of a fable than it was contrived and that the plot served the purposes set by the authors to tell a story with a specific point.

I will also note that I began this book as an audiobook but quickly decided to switch to print. The chapters are written from the perspectives of various characters at different points in time, and I found it was easier to keep up with who was speaking and when with the print version.

View all my reviews

No comments: