Saturday, April 10, 2021

Book Review: When You Trap a Tiger by Tae Keller

When You Trap a TigerWhen You Trap a Tiger by Tae Keller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This novel for middle grades readers is a beautifully written tale that combines magical realism with a strong grounding in the power of family and friendship. I think readers will connect with Lily and Sam, sisters whose bond is strong in spite of (maybe even because of) their differences. Tae Keller adds to the growing #OurOwnVoices movement that brings the stories of children from non-white backgrounds to the foreground. I loved reading the tales that Lily and Sam's Halmoni (Korean for grandmother) shares with them, and I appreciated the personal story that Keller shares in her author's note. Sensitive, lyrical, and magical - well worthy of the Newbery.

View all my reviews

No comments: