Saturday, April 10, 2021

Book Reviews: Spring Break Reads

The KingdomThe Kingdom by Jo Nesbø
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A riveting read from Jo Nesbo that leaves the world of Harry Hole to examine the powerful role that siblings play in each other's lives. This stand-alone thriller follows brothers Roy and Carl through the twists and turns and traumas of their childhoods into their adulthoods, where Carl has left Norway for Minnesota and apparent success as a real estate developer while Roy remains behind, living a solitary life running the gas station in their home town. Neither Roy nor Carl are fully likeable but both are still simultaneously sympathetic, and the book was hard to put down.

View all my reviews



Maybe He Just Likes YouMaybe He Just Likes You by Barbara Dee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An excellent work of middle grades realistic fiction, I got totally sucked into seventh-grade Mila's life. The depictions of middle school friendships are strong, and I appreciated the depiction of Mila's perception of the adults in her life, some of whom are more reliable than she thinks. This is a great discussion starter for issues of sexual harassment in middle school (and in to high school), and I look forward to discussing it with middle grades readers at a Project LIT book club meeting.

View all my reviews

The Parker InheritanceThe Parker Inheritance by Varian Johnson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a great book! Lovers of the Westing Game will definitely want to check out this fun read, which ties together historical fiction, modern-day realistic fiction, and a mystery! Readers will root for Candice as she and her new friend Brandon decipher the clues in a letter Candice's grandmother left behind for her in a box in the attic. The novel ties in issues of family, friendship, bullying, acceptance, and the importance of acknowledging painful truths about the past in a way that is fun and engaging.

View all my reviews

Knife (Harry Hole, #12)Knife by Jo Nesbø
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Really enjoyed this most recent Harry Hole novel. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm glad I'm not in Harry's inner circle!! I liked the ending that wrapped up some loose ends but also left me wondering what comes next for Harry.

View all my reviews

No comments: