Friday, April 30, 2021

Book Review: Grits: A Cultural and Culinary Journey Through the South by Erin Byers Murray

Grits: A Cultural and Culinary Journey Through the SouthGrits: A Cultural and Culinary Journey Through the South by Erin Byers Murray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm going back to finish a few books that I started some time back and set aside for various reasons (grad school, devouring other books in the meantime). Erin Byers Murray's exploration of grits is a book I picked up at the Decatur Book Festival a few years ago after hearing her speak on the topic. I enjoyed her talk and grabbed the book.

I have to say that I love grits. They are quite probably my favorite food. I grew up on instant grits in packets but now love making pots of locally grown grits from Riverview Farms. I also love food in general, and I always appreciate learning about the history of various foods and preparations and people's views on food.

Murray covers both the historical roots of grits as well as modern approaches to cooking grits that have resulted in their being found (still not easily but found nonetheless) outside the deep South. I particularly enjoyed her conversations with current farmers and millers (and loved that my own personal favorite - Riverview Farms - gets a shout-out in the book). Recipes are scattered throughout, and I look forward to trying some of them. (Even, shudder, making a sweet preparation with grits. I'll try it.)

The only criticism I have is that the chapter exploring the politics of grits didn't quite gel. Lots of great information there, but the theme under exploration wasn't fully developed. Otherwise, I really enjoyed reading and learning from Murray.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

zarahtaddonio said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.