Thursday, December 31, 2020

Book Review: In the Woods by Tana French

In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)In the Woods by Tana French
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Such mixed feelings about this book! I loved the pace of the narrative and the "current day" mystery, though I figured it out well before Rob/Adam did, but I am with the readers and critics who did not like the lack of resolution of the "historical" mystery. I know, I know, authors don't have to tell us everything about a character's back story, but I thought it was weak... If the author "doesn't know," then that's problematic - a failure of imagination in an author isn't a good thing. If the author does know, why not share with the reader? I don't buy the "it's more like real life" argument - if I wanted that I'd read true crime (which I do), not a novel. Bah...

Setting that aside, I loved French's descriptive writing and strong character development, and I will definitely check out her other books.

View all my reviews

No comments: