Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Book Review: King and the Dragonflies by Kacen Callender

King and the DragonfliesKing and the Dragonflies by Kacen Callender
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This National Book Award winner for young people's literature is a powerful and beautiful look at grief, self-acceptance, and courage. King is the protagonist that every tween/middle grades reader needs - an authentic kid who makes mistakes, questions the world, and feels and loves strongly. I had a hard time putting it down.

One minor, minor quibble: it just isn't THAT hot in Louisiana in January. Yes, I know it's warmer than many places and of course we get the occasional oddly warm winter day, but as a native of the south, I say southerners don't go around sweatin' quite that much in the middle of the winter. ;)

View all my reviews

No comments: