Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Book Review: The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo

 

The Redbreast (Harry Hole)The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another engaging thriller from Jo Nesbo! I so appreciated that I had the opportunity to visit Oslo in August 2019. Having seen so many of the locations in the book really made it come alive for me. I was completely sucked in by the intertwining stories of World War II and modern-day neo-Nazis, which felt as relevant today as back in 1999 when the modern portion of the book was set. It made me wonder about reception of the book in Norway and how people there grapple with their dual heritage of Nazi sympathizers and party members on the one hand and the Norwegian resistance on the other. For me, it connected strongly with Americans' own grappling with race and our history of slavery and oppression of Black people. Eagerly awaiting the next book in the series from the library (and thankful for a friend who grabbed #5 from a Little Free Library for me).

View all my reviews

No comments: